Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Delta Blues




The Blues singers like Robert Johnson, B.B. King and Bessie Smith, capture for me the ragged energy, injustice, triumph, and not quite triumph of life in the Delta. I loved going by the places that the Blues legends were from and seeing the historic markers. It's just as important as seeing those Civil Rights historic markers. Both are important. We stopped at the Ground Zero Blues Club in Clarksdale and I added my love note, written with a Sharpie, to my husband, Brad Laird, and I added our weddng date, my little tribute at Ground Zero.

Monica T.

1 comment:

Brad Laird said...

The love of god and neighbor is the same as love of oneself. The feeling of the Blues communicates this gospel. We are all mirrors for each other. We are one. We are monad. Monica and I are given to each other as constant mirrors to help keep our outward illusory appearance of being separate in check. Because of this apparent pairing, we/I are/am better able to see our/my oneness with all apparently separate others.

We are all one with the civil rights leaders. We are also one with those who are not mindful of their own prejudices and defensive misinterpretations. We are one with those who are learning to become mindful of our oneness. What will the civil rights cause of your generation be? Where is the need for the truth of our oneness to which you are called to answer?

Whatever your answer, may you love and be loved well, for you will find therein that place where you you can get frequent glimpses and an occasional blissful dunking into the infinitely deep well of divine love.
Brad Laird