Friday, May 16, 2008

Ticking away...SPOONING!

I'm sitting in my hotel room right now in Selma just relaxing. The last two days have been go go go and anytime for rest has been spent exploring. Yesterday we met David Jordan who is a Senator in the state of Mississippi and the Mayor of Greenwood. I wish we could of explored downtown some but we had to head off to Jackson for an appointment with Charles Evers and to go tour the Medgar Evers house. It was soo sad as we were walking down the street we saw a bunch of dogs playing in an what looked to be an abandoned house and one had a broken leg so Dane used my phone to get in touch with animal control and when they got there they told us that the mama dog had had her leg broken for seven years and they call her hop-a-long. Its like WTHeck why can't someone take care of her! I hate animal abuse. Hmmm I guess I should get back to Freedom Summer stuff. Meeting Mr. Evers was a very interesting guy and I thought it was cool he let us say stuff on the air. We were almost late to our dinner place but it turned out okay because our speaker was late too. Once we checked into the hotel for the evening and I unsuccessfully tried to find Grey's, Justine, Calvin and I decided to go to downtown Jackson. Yea its a bit more of a walk than the map lead me to believe. Once we made it back I passed out and woke up in time for us to head out and do a march to the NAACP offices. For once my quirky habit of always having a map came in handy when we started going the wrong direction but we got turned around and made it on time. Afterwards a group of us marched/ran to the old state capitol to complete the original marchers path. That was fun than we went and got to meet/sing with Jimmy Travis and Hollis Watkins. For lunch we had the honor of dining with former Governor Willie Winter who was really fun to talk with. I really wish I could become a politician but too many obstacles for me to overcome. Well I'm really exhausted and need some spoooning so Night!

No comments: